Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Are you a good steward?

To your finances, that is.

In full, "Are you a good steward to your finances"?

Has everybody read the 'Extreme Makeover' house faces foreclosure? Well, I read the small article tonight on Yahoo!TV and.... I'm pretty much disappointed. I don't know the reason these people ended up getting a house from Extreme Makeover:Home Edition, so maybe I'm talking before getting all the facts. But from the story, I get that they received the house and then borrowed against it, $450,000, to start a construction company and then went into foreclosure. And it just REALLY BUGS me that the article reads, "the latest victim of the foreclosure crisis".

Victim? Are you kidding me?? A victim of bankruptcy?? After you have been blessed with a house that is paid off?? I don't really have the words here but, maybe they are not responsible with their finances. It really just blows my mind.

The article also reads that Beazer Homes (the company that built their house) and its employees raised $250,000 additional for the "family, including scholarships for the couple's three children and a home maintenance fund".

I rarely watch this show, but when I do, it literally makes me cry. I just see what the network makes of these families, how hard they have it. And of course I never see the follow up story of how the family is doing after receiving this huge blessing. And then I see this today and I'm just so disappointed.

We actually had this sermon in church on Sunday. And I actually could never explain this well, or I'd be a pastor, but it was about the 3 ways you are in poverty.
1. Poverty by birth.
2. Poverty due to chastisement.
3. Poverty by choice.

What situation are these people from, 1, 2, or 3? I'm not judging, but maybe what these people needed was some help in managing finances and living within their means. A mortgage on a $450K home has to be around $3500+(-)/month. Can you imagine how much money you would need to make to live if that house payment were covered?

I don't want to keep rambling. And this should be a TFT, but, I'm not good at posting those. Does this bother anybody else, that this happened? That this country is actually calling going into foreclosure, being a victim of?

My bottom line is that I am more than willing to give to those less fortunate. Being a giver and blessing others is what we need to do in life. But, there is a line that we need to draw and making sure that people are good stewards to their finances.

6 comments:

sarah s. said...

I would have to agree. I don't think people are "victim" to foreclosure. My husband and I purchased our first home a year ago and even though the bigger/more expensive houses were nice, we knew we couldn't afford them if I was going to continue to stay home with our son. We feel the crunch with gas prices going up since my husband puts at least 300 miles a week on our car just to get to work and back, but we make up for it in other areas. I think people have a hard time saying no to the nicer things in life or refuse to downsize their home to something they can afford because it seems Bigger is Better. I don't think we'd have as big of foreclosure problem if we all worked at giving up a few things that we don't NEED. I do understand there are people who honestly can't do anything more to help themselves, but a good portion of people could be more financially responsible.

jessica said...

amen, sistah.

jenny said...

yeah, you hit the nail on the head with this one. my mouth hit the floor when i read that story - who would be that stupid? not i!

Jessica said...

I have not read the article but have a hard time, as well, understanding how you could have this blessing given and then do something so silly to have it go away. As the old saying goes, "easy come easy go".

I have only seen that show a few times and every time I ended up in tears. The stories are so heart wrenching. I guess media has a way to put a spin on everything to make the good at heart feel bad for a person or family.

Anyway, thats my .02. - jaf

Anonymous said...

I'm hearin a lil Pastor Jaime after all!!
that does make me sad.. I wonder what Ty thinks?
Ann

Amy said...

I just heard about this too. That is just crazy. What were they thinking? Personally, I think Extreme Make-over Home Edition is a nice thing, but they just go way over the top. They could help more people by doing less extravagent homes. Seriously, what kid needs the nose of an airplain or a treehouse in their bedroom - gimmee a break!