Sunday, October 28, 2007

Entryway

Maybe there are a few out there who need to see this. It's really no big deal, just something that I'm going to buy.


I'm going to take this buy at Target......




And turn it into this look, from Potterybarn....


And save myself a whopping $320. Is it worth it, we ask? TOTALLY!!! Plus, I bought a bunch of accessories for it today. Holiday type stuff... It's going to be good!! I'm excited. Only downer, the bench set at Target was 15% off last week and.... not this week. Oh well....

I love POTTERYBARN. I mean, who doesn't. Come on.... The day that I can actually afford to buy my furnishings there is going to be a fun day. But until then, I'm going to continue copycat-ing their designers. You'll never go wrong....


So, when I do my kids' rooms, I just look at their paint and color schemes, accessories, etc and then go shopping.


I helped my sister in-law, Amy, do a focal point in her living room a few months ago. It turned out beautiful. We basically took the catalog with us and went shopping.


I'll shop anywhere.... Ross, Marshalls, Kirkland Home, Bed Bath & Beyond, blah, blah, blah. YARD SALES. I took an old ugly 80's end table and had Eli help me distress it and paint it. It sort of looks something like this.... well, totally a different table and it's finished in the blue distress. So, if you've seen the collection, the blue one. I mean, there's is better but it was a good try. You know? Eli rocks at doing this stuff. So, he pretty much did all the work. First you strip it. Then you distress it (chains, burning, nails, drills, just tear it up!). Next, paint. Then what we did was take a stain and try to concentrate on the areas where it would wear first, naturally. Apply and wipe off. We are not pros... we're just trying to make stuff in our spare time.


But I guess the point is that it's okay to copycat. It'll turn out good!!

2 comments:

Kim said...

i do the exact same thing... i actually have a notebook and then when i like something in the PB catalog i tear it out and tape it in there for later. paint colors, stuff for my walls, etc. i did the fall lanterns, with pumpkins and candles in them? that were on the cover of one of the catalogs recently... anyway, their lanterns are like $50-100 or something but i got some at ikea for like $7-10. like i'm really going to leave real pottery barn lanterns out on my porch? and who can tell the difference?

A Day In The Life.... said...

Be sure to post a picture of the final product!
I envy those of you with this skill. I lack all creativity when it comes to decorating.